[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
The Cribs • View topic - Magazine / Journal Idea

Magazine / Journal Idea

Discuss anything about the band in here...

Moderators: Emma B, CribsForum, thefellas, The Cribs

Magazine / Journal Idea

Postby B-Side Scenester on Wed May 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Hello, I hope you are all well.

I recently got in contact with Emma B with this idea. What I said follows:

"My name is Christopher, I'm from Edinburgh, and have enjoyed coming here for a while. I always find the people on the forum as friendly and welcoming, and have a good music taste to boot! I've only met one or two, and probably know Grant (Grant85) the most after spending the gig at the Garage last July with him at the barrier, centre front. I'm sure I recognised a few of you, but nonetheless did not get the chance to say hi!

On the night, we talked about how passionate, committed and forthright members are towards The Cribs, and other artists, and thought about getting more interest in the forum in some way. A lot of time passed and not much more was said of it.

One idea I had was a Cribs forum 'magazine' of sorts, a journal of collected thoughts, opinions, drawings and discussion about the band. I've read before that the boys have always been into that type of thing, and it is a feature less prevalent due to the advent of the internet and so on. Has there been discussion about this before? Don't want to pretend I am original or anything...

I would love the idea of people on here, when they get the chance in their spare time, to write about subjects on the band. Anything from a few hundred words upwards, talking about how they relate to certain songs, cover art, live shows or the feeling of 'community' The Cribs bring, something I've appreciated for a long time anyway. It would be great to get such pieces together, as a document or edited collection, and send them, by post or to give out at gigs, to anyone who wanted. A non-profit thing: a real creative way to discuss the band whenever people can.

I've rambled enough, so thank you for your time. See what you think, and reply whenever you get the chance. I just wanted to speak to another member around here before I go writing across the site about this idea. Don't want to be a 'constructive spammer'!"

I thought I would put the idea to people on here, to get a few opinions and views. If you think it is a good or a bad idea, please say. Hopefully you may feel the way of the former, and would like to do something like this. Even if it is a bit of shambles, would be great to speak to some of you on here, get people back on the forum as the boys enter a 'new' stage returning to a three-piece. Post here, or in a private message!

Best wishes,

- Christopher
B-Side Scenester
I'm Alright Me

Re: Magazine / Journal Idea

Postby AzzySmokesCigars on Wed May 11, 2011 9:38 pm

this is a great idea, MAKE IT HAPPEN.
AzzySmokesCigars
On The Floor

Postby B-Side Scenester on Wed May 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Thank you.

How would you feel about writing something? Are there things you would like to discuss, Azzy? I can see you are a frequent and productive (not sure if this is the right word for an internet forum?!) poster, so I'm sure there would be things you could express!
B-Side Scenester
I'm Alright Me

Postby hanabizzle on Fri May 13, 2011 1:15 am

Yes please.
Just discussing the Cribs would maybe be a bit limiting if it there was going to be more than one, especially when they're on down time like they are now so there's less news. Maybe features on bands we've discovered through the Cribs too? People we've met? It'd reflect well on the 'sense of community' and 'more than just a band' feel.
If this takes off I'd be so up for writing, a LOT. I study creative writing with journalism; zines would fit into that perfectly. Let me know if you get any more interest cause I'd love to join in :)
hanabizzle
Feelin' It

Postby B-Side Scenester on Fri May 13, 2011 7:50 am

hanabizzle wrote:Yes please.
Just discussing the Cribs would maybe be a bit limiting if it there was going to be more than one, especially when they're on down time like they are now so there's less news. Maybe features on bands we've discovered through the Cribs too? People we've met? It'd reflect well on the 'sense of community' and 'more than just a band' feel.
If this takes off I'd be so up for writing, a LOT. I study creative writing with journalism; zines would fit into that perfectly. Let me know if you get any more interest cause I'd love to join in :)

Thanks for the response.

I think writing about other bands, including support acts, influences and 'future tips' is a great idea. Helps makes it less limited, and can help people maybe get into those bands in some way...

'Sense of community' again would be good. I always tell my friends about how people on here, and those you meet at gigs, are welcoming and friendly, and just 'get' The Cribs.

I think you would be more qualified than me if you study creative writing! How long have you been interested in it? Do you study at university, college, night class? Haha a few too many questions there! Feel free to ignore them...

I study and am interested in history, so I write in a slightly 'different' style, bit too formal probably!

You can get as involved as you want! Just got to get others on board, the more definitely is the 'merrier' (city). Join in guys, everyone who cares is welcome!
B-Side Scenester
I'm Alright Me

Postby Laura M on Sun May 15, 2011 10:22 pm

This is a brilliant idea! I'd definitely be up for joining in this! however i'm not very creative so no idea what i'd do but i'm sure I can share a few stories on my Cribs experiences, community and support etc.
'I just thought that i should try and say hello to those who'd never exist without being generic'
Laura M
Roving Artist

Postby levana on Sun May 15, 2011 10:26 pm

The cribs did a mini fanzine for nme in 2006, 2 pages and looked cool,
I have lots of cribs experiences,
got a light got a light anybody got a light got a light got a light you don't look so tight
levana
Always The One

Postby Danabdilla on Sun May 15, 2011 10:35 pm

That sounds like a pretty cool idea! I'm sure the lads would be happy about the idea!
A world without sin
Is a laughable thing.
Danabdilla
I'm Alright Me

Postby Emma B on Sun May 15, 2011 10:39 pm

stalking doesn't count...................
Emma B
Admin

Postby Chloe on Sun May 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Laura M wrote:This is a brilliant idea! I'd definitely be up for joining in this! however i'm not very creative so no idea what i'd do

this!
Chloe
Going to LA

Postby B-Side Scenester on Sun May 15, 2011 11:21 pm

levana wrote:The cribs did a mini fanzine for nme in 2006, 2 pages and looked cool,
I have lots of cribs experiences,

Oh really, I had no idea! They stole my idea before me, you see...a good five years before me. What was in it? Anything of merit?

Laura M wrote:This is a brilliant idea! I'd definitely be up for joining in this! however i'm not very creative so no idea what i'd do but i'm sure I can share a few stories on my Cribs experiences, community and support etc.

I'm sure you are! As long as you care (and it seems you do), you would be more than welcome. Everyone is really, as long as you have something to say!

I would welcome anyone willing to write about the band, or all the other features mentioned before. After my final exam on Friday, I am keen to really get into it all, so get your thinking caps on and start writing / typing / mimeographing!
B-Side Scenester
I'm Alright Me

Postby Pablo Honey on Mon May 16, 2011 6:22 pm

This is a great idea! I have a whole summer ahead of me so I'd be well up for contributing some pieces. I love writing about bands and such. Like many others on here, I've been to many Cribs gigs and have some wonderful memories whether it being in a sweaty 300 person venue or being in a field with 50,000 people seeing the band do what they do best.

So yeah, if you want to get into contact then facebook me facebook.com/imjoshuabtw

:)
Every time I attempt to make a decent signature I fail so this will do. FINE?!
Pablo Honey
Feelin' It

Postby B-Side Scenester on Mon May 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Pablo Honey wrote:This is a great idea! I have a whole summer ahead of me so I'd be well up for contributing some pieces. I love writing about bands and such. Like many others on here, I've been to many Cribs gigs and have some wonderful memories whether it being in a sweaty 300 person venue or being in a field with 50,000 people seeing the band do what they do best.

So yeah, if you want to get into contact then facebook me facebook.com/imjoshuabtw

:)

Excellent! I feel I am in the same position as you, a summer ahead.

Unfortuneatly, I do not have facebook. Judge that as a good or a bad thing, but I will stick to being stubborn...

I have been giving this a lot of thought as of late, about what content to put in, what to call it and even postage and packaging responsibilites. I read on the Coventry thread you are going...would be great to write something on the concert, and maybe how it (presumably) will be different to the 2010 festival shows with Johnny and even the 2009 'arena' tour.

I feel like I've given you assignment, a la J Jonah Jameson to Peter Parker...

If anyone else has any ideas about what to write, or something I have not spoke too much about, ie sketches or artwork, please get in touch either here, or if you are shy, PM me.

Maybe I should look into a way to keep in contact with people here that is a bit more 'instant', ie twitter etc. I'll be more committed past Friday evening...until then, 'keep your eyes on the prize' and get creative fellow Cribs-ers!
B-Side Scenester
I'm Alright Me

Postby B-Side Scenester on Sun May 22, 2011 11:36 am

Examinations are finished. Which means I can really indulge in this Cribs journal idea. Plus, the boys are back, and a fair few of you got to see them at the weekend!

Time to turn proper attention to this idea. I am looking to collect together individual, and collective, experiences from Cribs fans. I have been so happy to hear some of your responses, as I thought I was the only one interested in writing and being creative about the band!

As of today, 22nd May, it is only an idea. I would love to hear what you all think about the following. Or, to put it another way, things we should be knowing, then:

i. A title, or name.
ii. A clear idea what people would be willing to write about. I have been thinking a broad range of topics, as in writings and thoughts from each 'era' of the band. ie, from each of the albums, seeing shows on those subsequent tours...
iii. A 'standard' length of each piece. If 250-300 words is roughly a page of a Microsoft word document, using 12 point, then two or three pages could be an appropriate length. This is not a strict guideline, but to encourage 'good' length and thought. I am sure you could all go beyond that though! Collaborative efforts are encouraged too!
iv. An 'immediate' mode of communication. The forum here is great to talk at length, but over small details, I imagine something like Twitter would be useful. Who operates / uses this? In the above two posts, 'Pablo Honey', or Joshua, made a good point over something like Facebook. Alas, I do not have it, but I do have Twitter, and I think some of you do too? Plus, The Cribs themselves use it, sans Gary, but it seems a good 'fit' that way!
v. 'Hanabizzle', who I assume is Hannah / Hanna / Hana (!), made another good point about writing about other bands. I think that is a great idea, particularly ones closely associated to The Cribs. Any ideas on this would be encouraged!
vi. I also like the idea of drawings, sketches, quiz questions, and even anagrams! Any other ideas will probably be enthusiastically received!

I think all those things could keep us going for a while. I hope it doesn't sound too formal or pretentious in some of the things I write. Particularly through the internet, things can come across that way. It is just the way I write, influenced by 'formal, strict' writing I've picked up as a History student...This is meant to be a fun thing, and I hope not to come across as a bit 'jumped up' or organised or whatever. I'm really not, just keen to get this started!

So, since its the Sunday quiz later, post a few comments here when working out your answers!

Cheers guys!

- Christopher

twitter.com/seenshysecrets - I think you can access it without being a 'friend' or 'accepted', so feel free to get in contact that way!
B-Side Scenester
I'm Alright Me

Postby levana on Sun May 22, 2011 12:22 pm

http://www.twitpic.com/51111o this is the 2 page mini fanzine they did in the nme in 2006
got a light got a light anybody got a light got a light got a light you don't look so tight
levana
Always The One

Next

Return to The Cribs